Interstitial Cystitis Community
Gross Hematuria

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

Gross Hematuria

Hi, this morning, I passed urine with a lot of blood in it.  So much that it looked thick, purple, dark, and completely opaque.  Like a pint of Guiness, but dark purpley red.

It smelled of rotten eggs, and was generally putrid.

There was stringy bits in it, that I could see on the wall of the basin.

I have not eaten beetroot or anything else purple or red.

This happened a couple of times, so I went to see my GP at 9am.  

There was no pain other than a stinging sensation in my uretha, probably caused by the acidity of the urine.

By the time of my appointment, the blood had lessened, so that it wasn't completely opaque, and looked more reddy orange / pink but there was still too much blood to ascertain whether there was any infrection present.  The GP has sent the sample to the lab for tests. and I have to have a blood test tomorrow (FBC and kidney function).

I should get the results next week, and my GP has given me antibiotics as a precaution.

I haven't started taking the antibiotics yet, but, the blood and smell has gradually diminished throughout the day.  

As of 5pm there was no visible blood, and the smell had disappeared!

I'm not sure what to think now.  There must be a reason for this sudden onset and rapid disappearance of blood and smell.

I have been taking Lithium for two years, if that could make a difference?

I'm aware that my GP is not a specialist in these matters, so I wanted to get a more specialised opnion.  Also, are there any tests I should be asking for?  

I have the feeling the GP will just be glad it has gone away, and not investigate any further, but I don't want to leave it at that.

Please could you offer some advice?

Many thanks
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the reddish discoloration or your urine. Possibilities that may need to be considered include medication/ drug/ food induced discoloration, GU infections, inflammations, trauma/ injuries, growths, systemic issues such as bleeding disorders etc. You may like to discuss the situation in detail with your treating doctor after the report becomes available.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!