Interstitial Cystitis Community
IC and depression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

IC and depression

I was a very active and happy woman until IC- now I am 55 non active--- do  not want to do anything.  Takes all I have to do anything.  Diagnosed 2 years ago----  The pain, infections and all that goes with this has taken my happiness to a lot of extent.  Exhausted and tired of hurting.  Now depression has set in which had already taking Lexapro, now I'm just done with it all.  Never know when the flare ups are going to attack, have gained weight, tomorrow will go to dr. and ask for something for this pain and depression, cannot keep on.  Have done the diets and all.  Just done.  Anyone else?
Hi there!

Well, the chemical basis of depression are not well understood in medical science, though it is commonly found to be associated with autoimmune and inflammatory conditions such as IC; while whether it is a primary or a secondary effect if not well understood. Aside treating the primary inflammatory condition, management in such cases would also comprise of management of mood liability/ depression, depending on the severity. If not adequately management with correct medications/ therapies, I would suggest seeking a review with your treating psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Oh neesy2, I promise you I may not be right beside you but with you!  Please believe me
I can relate. I wound up quitting one of the best jobs I ever had because I had no idea what was wrong with me at the time. I was told over and over I just had regular UTIs but I wasn't getting any better with antibiotics. I sank into horrible depression and put on tons of weight. Its a very trapping feeling. Find yourself some hobbies you can do that you can work no matter if you have a flare up or not..maybe try something that you have always wanted from home...learn new recipes or take up knitting or painting or something of the sort...pick up hobby books..it helps to have something to focus on. Best wishes to you!