ICS after TVT surgery or erosion??
PLEASE HELP ME !!!
I had TVT surgery for stress incontinence in 2009. Within a few weeks, I began having occassional burning/irritation of the urethra and vaginal opening. This has become more and more frequent and is now constant. It is very difficult to urinate when it is flared up. Not because of burning. but I just can't go much at all. At first, prosed worked but now that it is constant, only flagyl works. Lidocaine burns horribly. The odor is terrible when  not taking the flagyl. I tried mold vinegar and water douche once and it burned so much and didn't help the odor. MD originally said that it might be a bit of irritation because of the way my bladder sits and possible stretching of the urethra. No that it is constant, he has diagnosed it first as a pinched nerve and now as possible interstitial cystitis and 2 compounded creams have been tried but burn intensely and do not help the problem or the odor. He says that the mesh is fine. He also mentioned once in passing that the mesh felt a little tight. I am at a loss. Could the mesh have eroded into the urethra? Do I need to seek an opinion from a urologist rather than my urogynecologist ? It it like sitting on a sandspur. The only relief I get when not taking flagyl (amoxicillin works, too) is ice packs applied directly to the urethral/vaginal area. ICS ??????
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections, inflammations, adhesions, neuro-muscular causes etc. I would suggest considering a detailed evaluation by a urologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate managmenet.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thanks much for your response. I've been fortunate enough to get an appointment with a uro-gyn who handles complications from the mesh at the medical university. It's still 3 weeks away and I'm spending my time standing or lying down and taking Hyo-phen constantly. It doesn't work as well as the Flagyl but it's what I have. I'm grateful for the support and input and look forward to some resolution soon or at least a diagnosis and course of action. Thanks again!
Just to update my situation:
I saw a urogyn at the medical university this morning. He very quickly determined that a portion of the mesh was exposed and infected. I am scheduled for surgery in a few weeks to remove a portion of the mesh.

While I am VERY disappointed that the original surgeon did not diagnose this over the last several months and after many expensive, out-of-pocket prescriptions. But I have hope now. That's all that really matters.

Thanks for your help.