Interstitial Cystitis Community
Inflammed urethra and urination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis / Painful Bladder Syndrome (PBS).

Inflammed urethra and urination

Every other week, I seem to have an urge to urinate which is followed by inflammation to the urethra and surrounding tissue of the vulva.  Have to wear zinc oxide for days to protect this area from burning urine.  Also experience burning pain mostly on right side of pubic/groin area.  Lasts 3-7 days and dissipates for several days before returning.  What could be causing this?  All started after having salmonella poisoning in the urinary tract.  
Ask you doctor for a Culture & Sensitivity (C & S) urinary analysis.  In the mean time, you should increase your liquid intake, but not from coffee, tea or alcohol.  This should ease a lot of the burning.

Good luck.
Hi there, thanks for advice.  During past two months since having salmonella UTI, I have had 6 C&S tests done and each come back negative.  I was treated with two courses of antibiotics for the UTI originally but now seem to have these urinary issues not related to infection.  When I had the UTI which is very rarely caused by salmonella (it spread from digestive tract) I urinated large blood and tissue clots which I truly believe have damaged the lining of my urinary tract.  However, there is such little literature out there related to UTI's caused by salmonella that doctors do not know what to do.  I think I need to see a urologist, but my doctor is not very proactive and tells me to wear zinc oxide.  I have for 2 months now and it does not resolve the issue, but only helps protect the external genital area.  

I am waiting to see infectious disease specialist, but since my C&S no longer shows salmonella in the urinary tract, I don't know that they will look into this complication.