Interstitial Cystitis Community
Interstitial Cystitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

Interstitial Cystitis

I am having a problem with pain during innercourse and also feel like I have a bladder infection. I saw a gyno. recently and she told me I had all the sysptoms for vulvodyna, had me go back for testing where she inserted first a salene solution which I had no reaction to and then another solution which I did have a reaction to - at the end of that told me that based on that test, clearly I have Interstitial Cystitis, gave me a prescription for Elmiron - etc.. I came home, got on line and have been reading a lot about how people feel with this. First I'm shocked at how horrible they feel and how it's totally changed their lives and there is no cure!  In reading thru all this, I'm truly not convinced that I have this. I'm no where near feeling what they are at least not to that extreme and I'm thinking I was mis-diagnosed. I don't want to be treating something I don't have. I dont' get up at night to urinate - I do feel a sense of urgency when I do have to go during the day and I feel a sort of anxiety on my lower belly , inside all the time. Between having that feeling and pain with innercourse, I know something is wrong - just not convinced it's Vulv or the IC - what do you think?
You need to understand that the pain of IC can vary greatly between patients and even
the same person throughout the day.  I have come across many like you and I believe you are an example of the success of IC education getting the information about IC out there so patients like you are diagnosed early.  The great thing about that is the sooner it is diagnosed and treated, means that you will be able to get and keep your symptoms under control easier.  Keep in mind people go on the internet when they are hurting and seeking.  Though there are a few of us that live with pretty bad IC symptoms we are out here more which can give newbies a unrealistic picture about the over all IC community.

Really many patient now are being found earlier and able to control their symptoms more quickly and easily so then they go on with their life.  Only a few not in pain stick around to reach out to others!  So the good news is that though their is no cure_( and do NOT ever forget that, once your symptoms are control don't just jump off the diet and go back to life as before because it will come back and usually worse!  Stay on top of it~) there are many great treatment options that will give you some of your life back!

I just had someone ask about IC and Sex on the new IC patient furom also
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Interstitial-Cystitis-IC--Pelvic-Pain-Support-Forum/show/412

Here is the link to the actual article and I hope this helps you!
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Interstitial-Cystitis-IC--Pelvic-Pain-Support-Forum/intercourse-and-IC/show/1064067

Shelly