Interstitial Cystitis Community
Is it normal to test postive for WBC (leucocyte esterase) in your urine...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

Is it normal to test postive for WBC (leucocyte esterase) in your urine when you have IC?

I have had very painful interstital cystitis since 2003. I am currently 42. I have 4 sons-ages 22,19,18,& 15. Before I got IC, I was  kind of like a super woman....I owned my own biz, ran a successful fitness company. Not to sound stuck up, but,  part of my business was being in great physical shape- I was the picture of health.  Everyone used to tell me how beautiful I was-back then, i didn't really care, -i thought- but it was sure nice to hear all the compliments. After a year of battling IC... I sold my biz to someone.... Which broke my heart!  I had a hysterectomy 2002, because I had a hole in my uterus, I think due to my body has been through way too much the prior year before. I had some pre-cancer on my cervix a couple times and my Dr. wanted to do hysterectomy. & I didn't want a hysterectomy.  I had some D&C's to stop some major bleeding.  I had 2 ablations, where they fill the uterus up with super hot scolding water. And its suppose to stop bleeding.  I think that may have made the hole in my uterus and I also wonder if that may be why I have IC.  Any way, I am almost always in constant big time pain.  I do have alot of UTIs.  And I always feel like I have a uti.  So, I have urine test strips just like the Dr. labs have-so I don't have to run to the Dr. every other day.  My question is.......I ALWAYS test positive for Leukocyte esterase (WBC esterase).  And  usually I test it is really high in WBC.....Why would I keep testing postive for WBC?  Is this common for IC patients?  Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this for me.....And would this also explain why it is so painful?  Thanks again for any help you can shine my way!!!

This discussion is related to Similar symptoms to IC, but results are negative?.
I think I may have IC.  I feel like have a UTI for over a month now- it comes and goes.  The pain when I get it is awful.  I have a gyno appointment this Thursday, but wanted to let you know that in the meantime, I had a CBC blood test with my general doctor and he said I had elevated WBC too.  He said not to worry, but I need to get it checked again this week.  I'm wondering if the infections don't show or something.  Good luck to you.
I consistently have WBC positive in my uti tests and never have nitrites (which indicate bacteria in the urine).  I am definitely thinking that the positive white blood cell count/leukocyte count is due to inflammation in the blatter/urethra due to IC.  I have never been able to get a culture to grow in any tests i have been given.

So I think it's possible to have positive WBC/leukocyte and not actually have a bacterial uti.  Though I have only found one doctor (urologist who specializes in IC) that is convinced of that.  I still believe it to be true in my case - since antibiotics never get rid of the burning and pain for me.