Interstitial Cystitis Community
Redness and Swelling on Penis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Redness and Swelling on Penis

I am 51 years old. 2 years ago, I noticed some spots on my Penis (at the shaft i.e. after pulling the foreskin back). I consulted an Urologist who prescribed some medicines. Again recently, I am having same problem - There is redness, some swelling, foul discharge etc. The condition has improved with anti-fungal medicines and Clotrimazole drops and regular cleaning with a mild soap. However the Urologist is suggesting circumcision and biopsy of the tissue. He mentioned that the problem is most problem Balanoposthitis. My question is can a biopsy be done without circumcision. What are the differences in symptoms of Balanoposthitis and Penile Cancer.

I don't smoke nor drink and all tests like HCV are normal. Thank You.
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Though a biopsy can be done without circumcision, a circumcision would be required in most cases to get adequate sample of the lesion depending on its location. Well, it would be difficult to differentiate between balanoposthitis and cancer based on symptoms alone. If a lesion is suspicious, it is best advised to consider a biopsy even when it is less likely to be cancer, just to be on the safer side. I would suggest discussing the situation and the management plan in detail with your treating urologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Interstitial Cystitis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703