Staghorn Kidney stone in an 11 year old.
I have an 11 year old daughter who began having kidney infections in Dec 11. After 13 courses of antibiotics it was discovered in June 2012 she has a large staghorn calculus in her left kidney. Kidney has general cortical thinning and small. Right kidney is fine with compensatory hypertrophy to take on the extra work. After more tests it was discovered the left valve on her bladder does not work. this is now Feb and we are still waiting on operation. She has begun to take kidney infections again. I am scared that stone will destroy the kidney. In your opinion how quickly should she have this operation and long does it take a staghorn to ruin a kidney. Thank you
Hi there!

There is no specified time limit for an operation to be done or deterioration of kidney function. The calculi are usually very slow to grow and infections would need to be managed medically; while a surgery cannot be done unless the infection is taken care of. It is best advised to consult a urologist for medical management of the condition, till a surgery date can be fixed.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!