Interstitial Cystitis Community
Urinary Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

Urinary Infection

Hello, On July 14, 2011 my 80 year old Dad had two polys removed and one hour later ended up in ICU for 3 days and the hospital for one week.  5 days later he had prostrate problems and ended up leaving the hospital with a catheter.  He ended up with an infection and after taking proscar and flowmax for 5 months (and using the single use catheter)  he went in for an opening of the urethra.  He since has had recurrent bladder infections, terrible gas and bloating.  He is still on nitrofurantion (2 pills a day for 5 days) one pill a day for 30.  He has no relief.  He is up every night with terrible pains.  He is getting depressed and has lost 20 pounds.  I don't know what else to do.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be very difficult to suggest something for him. The best I can suggest is to discuss the situation clearly with his treating doctor and going as per his advice. Hopefully things would get better with time.

Take care!
Thank you for your response.  I have had him evaluated by another GI doctor to determine pain and discomfort source.  All appears to be fine.  I had his urine tested again and no infection so we removed him from the Nitrofloxium.  Although his stools are harder, the overall pain and discomfort is worsening.  I have an appt set up with the urologist to check for possible bladder problems. The pain has become unbearable and his quality of life is poor.  I am hoping the symptoms are related to a bladder problem?  I will let you know.  Thanks again.