Interstitial Cystitis Community
White blood cells w no urine culture growth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

Although this subject has been addressed before, I have a question driven by pain and fear of a diagnosis.
I have, for a month now, having bladder symptoms (urgency to urinate, pelvic pain, etc), w/o urine culture growth. Last month theses symptoms were treated as an UTI. After that, I was diagnosed with Atrophic Vaginitis.
I just finished a treatment for the A. Vaginitis this week.  Right after that my last application (24 hours later), I got the symptoms of ballder infection again, i.e., pelvic pain, urgency to urinate with discomfort and urethral pain.
Last month these SAME symptoms took me to the Dr. and the urianalysis showed WBC yet w/o bacterial growth.
Went to the Dr. yesterday, and again, WBC and blood in my urine. I'm waiting for the urine culture (the 3rd in 1.5 months). I am afraid it will come back like the others, w/ no bacterial growth. My PCP then sent me to the urologist for the possibility of an Interstitial Cystitis....
My question is, is this (White blood cells w no urine culture growth) an indicative of IC?
According to my uro yes it can be.  White blood cells are a sign of inflammation.
IC is basically inflammation in the bladder wall, so WBC even without infection are common for us.  HOWEVER, you can also have chronic cystitis.  Cultures are designed to find typical acute not chronic infections and are based on colony count.

Do your symptoms go away while on the antibiotics, then return shortly after going off?

This is a classic pattern of someone with a chronic uti infection and is best treated by a uro who treat complicated infections, that will leave you on a long term hopefully low dose antibiotic.  Basically the symptoms of IC and chronic cystitis are the same BUT
a chronic infection can be cured and symptoms control with long term antibiotic treatment.  With IC you may see a slight improvement since a weakened bladder lining means more susceptible to low level bacteria but it will not resolve all the symptoms nor can antibiotics cure IC!

Hope that helps some!
Good luck! I hope you only have chronic cystitis!

Shelly