pain management
Hi, I'm a 26 yr old woman and have been diagnosed with IC for about 5 years now. Over the past year and a half I was taking Norco, then progressed to taking Norco & oxycontin. I was taking a lot each day bc I got addicted. I quit cold turkey 5 days ago & experienced terrible withdrawals. I decided I didn't want to feed my addiction anymore, so I wanted off the opiates. However, the opiates have seemed to be the only thing that has helped me manage my pain. I refuse to get back on them. I have had surgery & tried all the other treatments for ic like DMSO, elmiron, etc. Does anyone know of any NON narcotic pain meds that really help with IC pain?
Hi there!

You could try one of the non-opioid drugs used for neuropathic pain, though these may not be as effective as opioids and some may have a component causing dependence. It would be discuss this in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I was diagnosed with IC 3 years ago, and take a nerve pain killer for another condition that I've heard prescribed for IC - neurontin- it doesn't help for me, neither do the anti seizure pills I've taken for migraines. You might try a partial agonist opiate, like tramadol, partial agonists make addiction much less likely, but, of course, are no where near as potent. You can find a lot of info about partial agonists and how they work on Wikipedia, of all places !
Goog Luck!