Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
19 year old with hypertension

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

19 year old with hypertension

Approximately a month and a half ago I was at the dentist getting a filling done when my blood pressure skyrocketed to 232/170 (at that point I was not conscious), I was rushed to the hospital and sent home later that night. Approximately 3 weeks later, after a routine doctors appointment, my family doctor noticed that my blood pressure was extremely high and was asked to monitor my blood pressure for the next week. Within that week, my blood pressure remained between 150-166/102-107 with a heart rate of 120-133. I have been sent for blood work as well as a urine test to investigate into my kidneys. I was also sent for an EKG; my heart rhythm came back normal but my heart rate was really high. My doctors are extremely concerned, especially with my diastolic number and my heart rate. My doctor believes that with my heart rhythm being normal, whatever is going on, has not been here for very long because it has not put any strain on my heart yet. I was put on 50mg of atenelol to try and lower my blood pressure but my heart rate is still high (97). I am also extremely tired all of the time but that is probably from my B12 which we just found out was 71. I have also been getting a really bad pressure in my head, not a headache so much, more like a pressure. My doctor is convinced that there is something going on but has no idea what, they aren't sure if it's my heart, my kidney's, or my adrenal gland. Any suggestions would help, I feel so completely lost with no one to turn to.
While you are being evaluated to see if there is a secondary cause for your blood pressure elevation you need better BP control.  You may have a secondary cause for the elevation and I agree with the workup you have gotten.  I think your medications need to be adjusted to control your heart rate and BP.
1 Comment
A related discussion, 21 yr old with hypertension was started.