Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Alcohol/Caffiene

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Alcohol/Caffiene
My husband has had intermittent A-Fib for 2 years. He has tried several medications with no response and underwent a Left Heart Ablation on November 7th. He was cardioverted with medication at the end of the procedure and has been in normal sinus rhythm ever since the procedure.

Last Night he was finally feeling well and we celebrated with a nice dinner. He had three glass of wine over several hours and after dinner he went back into A-Fib.

None of his physicians said he needed to avoid caffiene or alcohol. Is there a correlation between alcohol and Afib? Does he need to stop drinking all together? We enjoy wine and have a glass or two with most dinners. Please advise. Thank you.

Yes,there actually is data showing that drinking alcohol increases the risk of atrial fibrillation.There was a study that was performed in Denmark that showed increased atrial fibrillation in men who drank alcohol. It is not thought that modest amounts of drinking increase the risk,but in some patients this can occur. There is a syndrome called "Holiday Heart Syndrome" that refers to people who go into atrial fibrillation after excessive alcohol intake. I cannot determine if he needs to completely abstain,but I would certainly only recommend small to modest amounts of alcohol at a time--perhaps that dinner was too much at one time. It sounds like most of the time he tolerates a glass without problem so I would recommend limiting it to one glass a day.