Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Anomalous right coronary artery

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Anomalous right coronary artery
My son was recently diagnosed with having evidence of an anomalous right coronary artery coursing between the aorta and pulmonary artery. The cardiologist explained that a right coronary artery appears to connect with the proximal main pulmonary artery. He also said that this can be fatal.  He was given an echocardiogram and a MRA/MRI.

The cardiologist said that my son will need a catheterization.  He also said that this condition is very rare and so they will not be able to deal with this problem so he recommended that I take him to the Boston Children's hospital after the catheterization.  I tried looking on the internet for information about but I was not able to find anything.  The doctor did tell me that I will not find anything about it because it is so rare.

The results also showed that my son also has:

heart click
mild mitral regurgitation
Systolic Murmur: Grade 2/6 systolic ejection murmur along the left sternal border to apex
1st Heart Sound : Single
2nd Heart Sound: Normally split.

1.  Could someone please explain these problems to me in layman's term.  
2.  Please  tell me the chances of him dying from this?
3   Please tell me if there are treatments available for this conditon.
4  Do you think a catheterization is absouloutely necessary. What are the risks involved?  I am extremely scared and worried.  Please give me some advise.

Thanks in advance.
I am a little bit confused-- does the right coronary artery course between the aorta and the pulmonary artery and then travel it's normal route? Or does it connect to the pulmonary artery? Can you read me the MRI report?
The only thing is says concerning this issue is that " there is evidence of an anomalous right coronary artery coursing between the aorta and pulmonary artery".
Thanks again.
Sheila
I asked them to please fax me the entire report from the MRI/MRA and this is what it says.  "

Normal left ventricular size and systolic function. Calculated left ventricular ejection fraction is 53%.

Normal right ventricular size and systolic function. There is no MRI evidence of arrhythmogenic RV dysplasia.

No significant valvular heart disease.

Normal sized left and right atria.

No obvious evidence of ASD or VSD.

No evidence of significant left to right shunting with a Qp/Qs ratio equal to 1.02.

Possible anomalous coronary artery with the right coronary arising from the left coronary cusp and traveling between the aorta and pulmonary artery.

Normal appearing thoracic aorta without pathology.

Normal sized pulmonary arteries.

Can you please explain the results in "lay man terms" to me.

Thanks in advance.
Sheila  
A related discussion, right coronary artery malformation was started.
A related discussion, anomalous RCA was started.
A related discussion, Anamolous Right Coronary Artery originating from the left sinus of valsalva was started.