Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Aorta Calcification

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Aorta Calcification
My doctor indicated that "mild calcification in my aorta" was discovered during a CT Scan of my upper chest region for another issue.  He said it was nothing to worry about.  I'm a 53yo, normal weight, active, and have mild hypertension controlled by medication.  Is this something that should be further evaluated, what causes the issue and can this "calcification" be reversed?    Thanks.
Likely the aortic calcification is a marker of vascular disease and you shoud be evaluated for vascular disease and you might want to have a CT for calcium scoring to see if you have plaque in your coronary arteries.  Agressive BP and cholesterol control is very likely needed.