Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Cardiac Catheter

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Cardiac Catheter
If I get get catheterization is it necessary that I also get a stent?  Or can they just use a balloon catheter?

I got a call from my cardiologists and they want to catheterize me but I am afraid I have some odd personal views regarding having something permanently implanted inside of me or having to permanently be on expensive medications for the rest of my life given how unreliable my employer is as I am a government flunky.  Are there generally alternatives?

And is it possible that my heart abnormality is just something as simple a perforated valve?  I know that is what my sister takes medicine for...

Otherwise I will probably vote to go with a shorter life and not have the procedure done.  Silly, I know, given that I am a Taoist and really should not have any objections to having something implanted within myself.
Without knowing why they want to cath you it is hard to answer the question. But most patients with a cath do not necessariy get a stent. You should discuss this with your doctor who will perform the procedure.
Apparently the stress tests etc.  indicated possible fascia scarring of my heart?  The nurse went kind of overly enthusiastic about the possibility of having to do the stent my GP yesterday afternoon stated the same thing you did apparently about one hour later though.

He stated that the scarring could be from a previous heart attack?  If so am I pretty much just SOL?  I do ask the questions but the answers usually involve explanations about how much they trust each other which tells me very little.