Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Cardiac Catheterization

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Cardiac Catheterization

I am 62 female, non smoker, walked 3 miles a day for 30 years, normal to low blood pressure, normal cholesterol, no chest pains or other heart symptoms, BUT shortness of breath for two years now and getting worse. All tests show strong heart, no arrythmias, no congestive failure etc.  Have had EKG, Echocardiogram, Thallium Stress test.  All great! Dr. says next step is catheterization and I am hesitant. I have explored pulmonary tests and x rays and all OK there.  Is the cath the next logical place to go?
A cardiopulmonary stress test to evaluate your oxygen consumption and your degree of fitness might also be of value.  Make sure the echo evaluated your right heart and the pulmonary artery pressure.
I am a 52 yr old female.  I read what you said and I thought I'd give you my input.  I too went thru all the tests you've listed but I was having chest pain.  My Cardiologist becuz all ws "normal" blamed it on over stress, fibromyalgia etc.  My husband suggested the heart cath.  Reluctant the dr scheduled it for 092807.  On 092507 I had 2 heart attacks w/in 1 hr.  On 092607 they went in and found that my main artery--the one they call the Widow Maker was 90% blocked.  I have always had below normal or right at the lowest number for both triglyceroids and cholestrol.  I too had been out of breath like I couldnt speak a full sentence for a couple of years.  The tests that we go through are only 70-80%, the only one that is 100% is the heart cath---it is the best way to find out if there is anything really wrong.  I hope you will consider it.      

A related discussion, risks of stent to left circumflex artery was started.