Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Chest Burning

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Chest Burning
Hi, I'm 25 male, and recently have been having a burning sensation on the left chest. I feels like it's on the left pectoral, about an inch away from the sternum, and runs from about nipple level up toward the collar bone a few inches. Several days ago, it felt like a pain more than burning, and when I would stick my chest out and bring my shoulders back, that's when it hurt the most. Now that it is a burning sensation, I can't seem to find an muscular connection to the reason it feels this way. Sometimes I think it is sensitive to the touch, but hard to tell. Does this burning sensation sound like it could be a symptom of the heart ? I know what GERD feels like, and this isn't it, because it's not in the middle of my chest. I'm not used to this type of feeling with pulled muscles either. I am going through an anxious period as well, so I've had other symptoms like heart palpitations, fluttering, chest pain, etc. I also had an EKG done recently, which was normal. Would the normal EKG results give you a good enough feeling that this is not heart related ? Or is the EKG only part of the picture ? I'm quite young, i understand, to have heart problems, and I should see my doctor about this, but looking for a bit of piece of mind. Any other tests I should recommend to my doctor ? He always seems to think that it's no big deal, but I can't let it leave my mind. Thanks for any input!
It seems unlikely that the symptoms are from your heart but  you could talk to your doctor about an exercise echocardiogram which would help exclude a cardiac cause for the symptoms.