Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Chest pain

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Chest pain
I'm a 32 year old male.  Yesterday I woke up with a burning and stinging pain just to left of the sternum.  Since then the pain has comes about every 2-4 hours.  The pain is very mild and it last for a few seconds.  Is this pain from my heart or something else.
The burning & stinging pain is more atypical for cardiac chest pain. However, I would not ignore it.  Based on your age, I'd recommend that you get a stress echocardiogram as a baseline test.  It will assess your heart for structural heart disease and potential blockage in your heart arteries.  In addition, if you don't know your numbers (blood pressure, lipid panel, ideal body weight, etc) I'd get them checked.  Other risk factors that you should consider that may contribute to heart disease would be lack of exercise, poor dietary habits and smoking.  

Doug Bogart