Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Dilated Aortic Root and Ascending Aorta

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Dilated Aortic Root and Ascending Aorta

During a hospital stay in June 2007 (I only just ordered the reports) to try Flecainide for PVCs in constant bigeminy, I had a cardiac catheterization done to check for arterial blockages. My arteries were clean but they found that I have a dilated ascending aorta (4.7cm) and the aortic arch was dilated, it also says there were two aortic cusps, and there is at least 1+ AI. They then did a CT scan of the area, and the report says "the aortic root is dilated measuring 4cm in greatest axial dimensions at the level or the right pulmonary artery. The aortic arch and descending intrathoracic aorta are normal in caliber. The takeoffs of the great vessels reveal a bovine arch." They also mentioned mild aortic regurgitation and mild mitral regurgitation.
Finally, they did an echocardiogram to rule out bicuspid valve. This report said that the valve is tricuspid and mildly thickened. Mild 1+ aortic valve regurgitation.
Now, I feel so confused. When I went to see the CT Surgeon a month after these tests, he said I only have a dilated ascending aorta, at 4cm, and made no mention of the 4.7cm that the catheterization found. He said he didn't need to see me for 2 years. What is the difference between a dilated aortic root, and a dilated ascending aorta? Is there, in fact, even a difference? Which diagnostic tool would be more reliable, catheterization or CT scan?
Thank you SO much for your help.
I suspect the CT scan gives the most accurate measurements and it is the best way to follow your aortic enlargement.  A dilated aortic root is the same as a dilated ascending aorta.  You should be on a good dose of the beta blocker and the BP goal should be <130/80.
I forgot to mention, I'm a white 43 y/o female, I am overweight but in good condition as I do keep active. I am taking nadolol (20mg/day) in conjunction with Flecainide (200mg/day) for VPB's and to control BP. I also take Wellbutrin (150mg/day) to counteract the depression the beta blocker has caused.
my son has a dialated aortic root at 5 cm,He went to emergency 3 times
in one week.They sent him home with heart burn.Now a heart dr saw
him,put him in the hospital did every test and everything was fine.
but the heart doctor wants to do surgery on the root on feb 18.
j
josh is very scared,he thinks its going to burst any minute.He is
6 foot 5 in,he played collage football.They found this problem when he was 11 years old and has measured it every year.
He also has a small hyadle hurnya.
some people say they dont do this surgery untill it measures 6to 7 cm.
please someone help us!!!!!!!!!!
I was diagnosed today with a dialated aorta, 2cm.  My father had a stroke then died 1 year later because of heart failure following surgical removal of an aortic aneurysm that had grown to the size of a catelope according to his doctors.  I'm 48, about 30 lbs. overweight and semi-active (I walk my dogs twice daily for 20 minutes to an hour).  

What is the liklihood that I have inherited this issue from my father?

Thanks!
A related discussion, Ascending aorta was started.