Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Followup for Dr. Bogart

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Followup for Dr. Bogart

Dr. Bogart,

thanks for you answer about the vein on the left side of my neck. like i saidit bulges when i raise my left arm but nothing when i raise my right arm. ive also heard that veins in the neck drain sometimes like this making it bulge because of the way the vein run through the muscles and other parts of the area. is this possible? also could this be a sign of heart failure or disease even though i have no symptoms posted by the american heart association. please let me know what could be causing this and mainly if i should worry about this as i am freaking out. the strange this is that the vein doesnt go towards the ear as most vein there do but it goes from the clavicle towards the madible diagonaly the other way rather than towards the ear. which vein could this be? anyways, thanks a lot for your help and advice. please let me know what you think. mostly im worried about heart disease or something of that sort. i didnt have that before and now i do thats why im freaking out. thanks a lot again.
franco
You do not have congestive heart failure and the vein you describe is likely the external jugular vein which is prominent in some people without any clinical significance.