Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Grinding/wormy feeling
About This Forum:

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Grinding/wormy feeling

Hello all,

I am a 33 year old woman with a history of sinus tachycardia and a few other issues (stiff heart, tricuspid and mitral regurge, healed cardiomyopathy).

Three times this year, I have had this horrid experience of a racing heart, followed by this God awful feeling in my chest that is not painful, but can be best described as a "grinding of salt into my heart" OR "kind of like worms crawling around in there." I know that sounds weird, but it is my best description of it!

During this experience, I get extremely weak and my arms feel like they are a hundred pounds and I can't lift them so well. Each experience has lasted around 15 - 20 minutes. Each time I have gone to the ER and my pulse is around 140, but in normal sinus rhythm.

It has been suggested to me by my cardiologist that it could be Atrial Fibrillation or Atrial Flutter ---- so my question is ..... does this Atrial Fib or Flutter feel similar ---- "flutter" to me sounds more like a palpitation?? This is definitely not a palpitation feeling!

Thank you so much in advance!