Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Heart Palpitations Fast and slow

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Heart Palpitations Fast and slow

I am 22 yrs old and lately i've been experience some very unpleasant sensations with my heart. Throughout the day, I seem to have an increased awareness of my heart at any given time. Whenever I do, I notice that it's beating very irregular. It's either going fast(never above 130 at rest), or going really slow with what feels like pauses when it's going slow(usually around 50-60). There are times when I'm not even aware of my heart, but I will get a split second sensation of lack of breathe and a sharp burning sensation in the upper chest and in my throat. Also, sometimes when I'm exercising on a treadmill, I notice that even after exerting myself, my heart rate will not budge above 100 according to my polar watch. When I stop, it abruptly drops down back to 60bpm. This doesn't happen all the time but it concerns me. I have seen a cardiologist who ran some standard tests(EKG,Holter,Echo,blood, and stress test) but it all came back normal. He told me that I don't have anything to worry about. The only thing that he found was Sinus Arrythmia which he claims is a sign of health. Should I seek a second opinion, or am I just over analyzing myself and just have an increased awareness of my heart?
It is reassuring to know that all your tests are normal. You might want to ask your cardiologist if monitoring for a longer duration with an event recorder would be useful