Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
High HS-CRP results on blood test
About This Forum:

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High HS-CRP results on blood test

hi. i'm a 35 year old white male. 5'6 170 pounds. slightly overweight.  No drinking , no alcohol. But smoke very heavily. Pack a day for 15 years .  Recent results of bloodwork as follows

cholesterol    179          (6 months ago 231)
triglycerides  177         (6 months ago 216)
hdl             91                (6 months ago 38)
ldl             53                (6 months ago  150)

I realize the only thing that is abnormal  here are my  triglycerides levels,  which should be under 150.
I also realize I’ve  impoved my levels as  compared to my previous results from 6 months ago .
I think I can attribute the improvement to daily regimen of flax seed oil  and celery juice.
My concern however is the following.  This is the first and only time i've had a HS- CRP test and it came back as high   4.0 to be exact.   I did not notice this test while at my docs office. She says my results are great. But the lab report states otherwise. It states an elevated hs-crp ALONG with an elevated total cholestrol shows greater risk of future mi.  My understanding of this is  that high hs-crp levels have to show up ALONG  with high total cholestrol levels to be at a high risk

1. is my understanding correct ?
2. what if my cholestrol goes up again. Will that then put me at high risk?
3. I have been taking aspirin over the last year as a precaution AGAINTS my doctor’s advice. She thinks i don't need it.  If I stop taking aspirin will the hs-crp go up even higher?
4. what causes hs-crp levels to be high?
5. how can I reverse these high readings?
6. what is my risk level for mi from all the levels. Chol, trygs and hs-crp levels combined?
7. how often should I be tested for cardio lipids?  

Thank you for your time . Hope to hear from you soon.
Mike