Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
High blood pressure and irregular heartbeat

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

I am a 30 yr old male and have had high blood pressure for about 4 years.  Over the past 2-3 years or so I have had many problems with palpitations.  They come on pretty violently (for me at least) for about two weeks or so and then go away for 1-2 months sometimes.  When I do get them, they are very scary and occur in bouts of several in a row at times, or off and on throughout the day but lasting about an hour or so at a time.  I usually feel a bit "winded" when they come on, and feel sort of out of breath and lethargic from simple exercises like walking up the steps or to the mailbox.  When I am not having a bout of the palpiations, I do not feel that way at all from those types of small exercises.  I have had an EKG, Echo, stress test and worn a holter, all have come back fine.

Am I considered to have an irregular heartbeat because of these palpitations that come and go, even if they sometimes go away for a month at a time, or is an irregular heartbeat somehting that is always present?

Also, can my high bloodpressure be one of the causes for the palpiations?

Thank you
Yes,
high blood pressure can be a cause for both irregular heart rhythm and palpitation. I agree controlling the BP is very important. Also, an occasional missed beat is usually not significant.
Do you drink alcohol? If so how often? Just curious. I work in a Cardiologists office (Medical Asst). A lot of different things can cause an irreg heart beat and palpitations. Your risk factors will be a big indicator as to why this is happening. Your high blood pressure at 30 yrs old, and for the past 4 yrs, isnt helping any. You want to get this under control.
I dont drink often.  2-3 beers a month or so.  I have been on a Beta Blocker for about 3 years.  My dosage has fluctuated over the past 3 years, but I have never noticed a difference in the palpitations.  I have not noticed a huge difference in by BP either.  It is normally in the 130/88 range, give or take.