Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
High blood pressure and irregular heartbeat
About This Forum:

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High blood pressure and irregular heartbeat

I am a 30 yr old male and have had high blood pressure for about 4 years.  Over the past 2-3 years or so I have had many problems with palpitations.  They come on pretty violently (for me at least) for about two weeks or so and then go away for 1-2 months sometimes.  When I do get them, they are very scary and occur in bouts of several in a row at times, or off and on throughout the day but lasting about an hour or so at a time.  I usually feel a bit "winded" when they come on, and feel sort of out of breath and lethargic from simple exercises like walking up the steps or to the mailbox.  When I am not having a bout of the palpiations, I do not feel that way at all from those types of small exercises.  I have had an EKG, Echo, stress test and worn a holter, all have come back fine.

Am I considered to have an irregular heartbeat because of these palpitations that come and go, even if they sometimes go away for a month at a time, or is an irregular heartbeat somehting that is always present?

Also, can my high bloodpressure be one of the causes for the palpiations?

Thank you