Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Jugular Vein Distention

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Jugular Vein Distention
I recently noticed a very prominent vein on the left side of my neck.  It sticks out so far that I can easily feel it with my fingers.  It is visible all the time.  Even when I'm standing or sitting upright.  My doctor said it is my external jugular vein and is nothing to worry about.  Is this something I need to have evaluated by a cardiologist?  I am a 38 year old female.  My blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides are normal.  I have no shortness of breath or chest pain.
your doctor is right the vein is most likely the external juglar vein. If your internal juglar venous pressure is normal, then a prominent external juglar is usually not a cause for concern