Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Leaky heart valve

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Leaky heart valve
I am a 28 year old, in fairly good health, my LDL is only 33 and my blood pressure is 100/70.  I had been having chest pains for about 6 years, off and on.  I would notice it a few days then I wouldn't for about 5 or 6 months, then notice it again for a few days.  I went to the doctor recently, and they did an EKG (which turned up fine), so he refered me to a cardiologist.  The cardiologist did a sonogram of my heart and said that I had a "slightly leaky heart valve."  He said itwas nothing life threatening, nothing that required surgery, and I could continue doing what I do (running, working out, etc.)  He perscribed me Atenolol to help with the slight discomfort I had been feeling in my chest and said to come back in 3 weeks.  Im a little confused on how you can have a slightly leaky heart valve and it not be serious or require a need to be fixed.  Is there any kind of leak that really of no concern?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks
It is a common problem to have a small amount of leaking of 1 or more heart valves. As tests to evaluate the heart have improved smaller amount of leakage has been detected. It usually requires no intervention. Occasionally with aging this may change.