NEED HELP!
Hi I am a 29 year old female in relatively good health. Last August I was hospitilized with chest pain, shortness of breath, and dizziness. When I was hooked up to a heart monitor I was told I had a first degree block and then they said they saw it in a second degree. My first night in the hospital I was woken up in the middle of the night because my heart rate dropped into the 30's. There was talk the next day of possibly giving me a pacemaker. I was sent home a few days later with pepcid, gotta love kaiser, and still having symptoms. I have been hospitalized two times since with the same symptoms. My cardiologist has done several echos, all were normal, holter monitor that showed 2nd degree block, and several blood tests. I am currently waiting for a tilt table test, a 21 day monitor, and possibly an ep study. What is the liklihood I will need a pacemaker? What other alternatives do I have for treatment? Please answer me honestly.....My Dr's all say I am very young for a pacemaker and dont want to do it unless absolutely necessary.
It depends on the type of second degree block you have whether you will need a pacemaker.  If the block is at the AV node and not below it is unlikely you will need a pacemaker.  If exercise makes the block go away it is unlikely you will need a pacemaker.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Cardiologists in your area?