Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Out of Control Heart Rate?

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Out of Control Heart Rate?

Hi I am 24 and I've been having problems with a really fast heart rate. I had an allergic reaction and had to be hit with 3 epipins. Every since then my heart rate has been out of control even with treatment. After getting out of the army I returned to my civilian job as a fire fighter. Every time I would go into a structure fire I would nearly black/white out, everything would get quite and I could hear my heart beating. I just coped with it and did things that would not aggravate it and do light duty. I couldn't ignore it anymore, I was walking up my stairs and I started getting crushing pains in my chest and left arm and vomited my heart rate jumped up. I laid down and hoped for the best but my heart would not slow down even after rest. The pains and dizziness did not go away so I went to the hospital, they hooked me up to the heart monitor and my heart rate was staying steady at 150 and 185, that worried them so they gave me fluids to see if I was dehydrated I wasn't they gave me a shot of cardizeim, right after he put the medicine in my heart rate went up to 230 and would not slow down, 3 shots later I am vomiting in severe pain and my heart feels like it is going to explode! They did treadmill tests a lot of tests, but could not find anything. I had a cardiologist he was really nice until he saw how difficult of a case I was. He put me on a 48 hours monitor and it showed fast heart rate, then he put me on a 30 day monitor and I went maybe two days and after calling in my recording I got a call from the doctor to come in, my heart rate was staying at around 180 and I was having heart arrhythmia's. He did a EKG and saw a few bad spots, but he said nothing alarming. He put me on beta blockers, which made things worse and couple of other heart medicines that had the opposite affect, so nowadays I am just trying to do the best I can to regulate my own heart and hope for the best. He thought anxiety but he put me on meds for that also and nothing.
You likely need to see an electrophysiologist and you may need to have an ablation.
also I get palpitations and it feels like my heart skips beats kinda like it flutters. It feels like my heart is trying to get over a hear, usually when I hit myself in the chest it will go back to number. But I have to hit my chest really hard.