Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
PAC's
About This Forum:

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

PAC's

Hi, I am a 29yr old 4th year medical student from the UK.

About 6yrs ago I quit smoking with the aid of nicotine patches. During the period in which I used the patches I noticed a strange fluttering in my chest. These quickly stopped upon ending the use of the patches. However, they quickly returned which led to a trip to the A&E department. After countless ECG's, a 24hr Holter monitor and a treadmill stress test, my cardiologist discharged me.

At the moment I take 300mg of Mg daily which seems to have stopped what I believe are premature atrial complexes. However, in the last few months I have had three quite alarming flutters in my chest. Usually I feel the flutter of the premature contraction, then the compensatory pause and finally the kick of the next contraction. On the three occasions in the last 8 months it feels as though there are many premature contractions - 4 or more maybe - in quick succession. This lasts for about 5-8 seconds before the pause as opposed to the usual 1-2 seconds. I don't experience any other symptoms during these alarming moments (chest pain, dizziness, etc) except for a thready pulse.

I have also noticed lifting my arms in the shower to wash my hair or keeping my neck tilted in a certain position can trigger these events - Vagal stimulation maybe?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.