Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Pulse of 120 or higher

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Pulse of 120 or higher

My daughter get a pulse of 120 - up to 180 every once in a while and she is just sitting there.  She has seen a cardiologist and they don't see any prob.  She wore a halter monitor and they don't seem concerned.  She will run and feel her chest bang and stop  to rest.  She also has Poly JRA.  Since she was 4.  She has been in and out of the doctor.  And I get don't know from all doctors.. Its very aggravating.  Doesn't having a pulse like that put wear and tear on the heart?
Tags: daughter
You are right a high pulse rate of 120-180, if it happens at rest, is  not normal.The challenge is to able to find out what the heart rhythm looks like at that time. A holter monitor only records rhythm usually for 24 hours. You might want to ask your doctor about an "event recorder" which can monitor the heart rhythm longer.
1 Comment
I'm 22 yrs old and I have the same problem with my heart that your daughter has I've been going to cardiologists since I was 15 but been having this problem since I was 7. Although I was a gymnast and runner I would still have this problem while not exerting energy. While at rest my pulse will be as low as 30 and without doing anything it will jump to 120 or higher. When I just stand up to walk I will often faint and lose consciousness. My most recent doctor is the only one who has had concern and actually heard what was going on with my heart when he listens to my chest but when he sent me to the cardiologist or the er to be monitored or to have an EKG they tell me it's normal but I know it's not. They say it's because of my low weight and or dehydration but I'm drinking fluids, is your daughter also very thin? I'm 5'7" and weigh 105lbs I really want to find out why this is happening and find a solution to the problem but no doctor is really addressing it just in your daughters case. My boyfriend is a doctor and I trust his medical opinion and he tells me that it's normal and it happens to slot of ppl it's called svt's when your heart races and pounds hard in your chest and your not exerting energy. My bf said if it happens and I feel like I'm going to faint to sit down and it will subside but it happens when I'm already sitting and often does not subside it's refreshing to hear I'm not the only one that's young and has this problem but frustrating to hear from medical doctors that's it's normal because normal ppl dont deal with this. Any advice? Thanks Jen.