Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Question for Dr. Bogart

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Question for Dr. Bogart

I ws diagnosed with high blood pressure but as far as i know i dont have it. i had it the day i went to the doctor because i was freaking out. ever since ive tested my blood pressure and its been normal. i do have a vein on my left side of the neck (not the right side at all) that bulges somewhat when i lean forward or bend down, raise my left arm and i little bit when im eating. i can see that the vein is much more superficial on that side compared to the other side. i say this because i can se where the vein is even when it is flat. also if i put my finger on it then it bulges too as if im blocking it. im pretty sure that this vein drains blood since when i cover the top nothing happens but when i cover the bottom it bulges. ive had two doctors tell me that its my carotid and that i should not worry about it. ive also heard that thin people with bigger neck muscles tend to have this sometimes and its normal. i recently lost weight  and thats around when it happened. i went from 165 to about 153 or so. im in my 20s and have no other symptoms (no chest pain or shortness of breath etc..) or pains. i dont know what this could be but im kind of worried that it could be something to do with the heart. when my physician listen to my heart he said it was normal he also listened to the veins in the neck with the stethoscope. i dont know what to think. please help me out. thanks a lot,  
It is very unlikely that the neck veins are of any significance and likely more noticeable since you lost weight.  The BP should be monitored and you should get a digital blood pressure device for the upper arm (brachial) not a wrist monitor.  Taking your BP a couple of times a month at random times will make sure it is OK.  Your BP goal should be less than 130/80.