Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Removal of permanent Pacemaker

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Removal of permanent Pacemaker

I am 58 and have had a pacemaker for 22 years.
The first one was removed after 8 years and I have had the present one for 14 years. I suspect, with the info I
got from the person doing  my yearly "reprogramming"....that I am not really using this pacer, and that perhaps
the heart problem I got it for originally has somehow disappaitted.
Can the pacer, mainly the wires, ever be removed safely? I would rather not have it, if I don't need it.

distressedmom
The longer the electrodes are in place the harder it is to remove them.  It is far easier to remove the generator and if I were you unless the leads are bothering you significantly I would leave them in place.