Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Repeat Angiograms

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Repeat Angiograms
I had a stent and angioplasty 4 months ago. Since then I have pain in in the middle of my back. They would like to do a repeat angiogram. Can this cause scar tissue and or cause any further damage to the heart or vessels? I am 37yrs old with Diabetes of 33 years. No high BP and kidney function is well.
A repeat cath will not cause scar tissue in the heart.  It is very unlikely to cause further damage to your heart.  Have you had a stress test to see if it is abnormal--and if it is then the cath for sure should be done.
I had a stress test, blood work, EKg's basically every test. All my test passed. They just wanted to do an Angiogram to see if there were any problems. That is when they found the blockages. My Dr,s were shocked to find them. I had 1 stent put in, and an Angioplasty in the other due to I need a 2 mm stent that is drug eluding, but it is currently not availiable. In the mean time, I am having pains in between the shoulder blades, which I was told is due to where the angioplasty was done. They want to repeat the Angiogram to see how things are. I am worried this may cause tissue damage,etc.
I will need a angiogram done when the stent is availiable so is it benificial to have one now if there is no treatment to fix the problem now?