Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Severe Chest Pain

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Severe Chest Pain

I have severe chest pain that started a couple of days ago.  On day number one I went to a doctor and he had an EKG done on me.  He came back and said "has anybody told you you may have an enlarged left ventricle?".  But, he seemed to lean more towards a chest wall issue rather than my heart causing my chest pain.  

This is what it says on the sheet he gave me:

NORMAL SINUS RHYTHM
MINIMAL VOLTAGE CRITERIA FOR LVH, MAY BE NORMAL VARIANT
POSSIBLE LATERAL INFARCT. ABNORMAL ECG

He gave me a prescription for 800mg of Ibuprofen for the pain.  I am trying to decide if I should go to the ER to have this looked at better, or to wait awhile to get into a cardiologist (it is going to take awhile for an appointment).  

By what you are describing it seems that the physician felt your pain was musculoskeletal. Since your EKG is not totally normal I would suggest seeing a cardiologist for further evaluation. If you are continuing to have chest pain then you should go to the emergency room and not wait