Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Sharp pain in upper left chest

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Sharp pain in upper left chest

For about a year now, I've been periodically experiencing sharp pains in my upper left chest area. It feels as though the root of the pain comes from beneath my left breast. The pain is sharper when I breathe. It is more intense when I breath deeper, but it is still sharp even when I breath lightly. The pain becomes more intense when I make a movement that involves me moving that area of my body. The sharp pains last for 15 minutes to an hour at a time. They can occur from once to four times a day. The pains only come every 3-4 months. I've seen a cardiologist and he says that nothing is wrong with my heart and that it happens due to muscle spasms occuring in my back. I do have a history of back problems, especially trouble with my trapezious muscle. I also have scoliosis with a 25 degree curve. Is this infact the root of my sharp pains? What can I do to make these pains less intense? I take the muscle relaxer Skelaxin, but it doesn't seem to help. I also take Naproxen to aid with inflammation and pain; however thise medicine only upset my stomach and causes acid reflux.
The pain you are having is likely musculoskeletal and not cardiac.  Pain with movement is never cardiac.  With your history of spinal problems this is the most likely source of the problem.