Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Trivial leak in the tricuspid valve

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Trivial leak in the tricuspid valve

I would also like to know as a post op end to end anastomosis patient, My old doctor that I have not seen for years told me that I had a mild leak in the tricuspid valve, can you explain to me what is leaking and what it is leaking into. Is it just leaking and going back into my lungs or what and is this problem going to progress or can it stay the way it is and never get worse.
The tricuspid valve sits between the right atrium and the right ventricle. It leaks a small amount in just about 90% of the population. As long as the valve is structurally normal then it is not a concerning finding. It leaks slightly from the right ventricle back to the right atrium.