Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
coarctation/ bicuspid valve

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

coarctation/ bicuspid valve

hello , i am interested to know what the general statistic is for people who have uner gone coarctation repair in early child hood.
As an adult, you spend time over years going to see cardiologists and when there do not always ask what you now want to know as an adult.! Also, we have high cholesterol in our family, I have cholesterol of 6.0, my gp seems unbothered about putting me on statin, I want to prevent early onset heart disease , to that end I do not smoke, do not drink ... much and maintain a healthy diet and am active. Would your advice be to take a statin ? once you start it, you may be cannot stop ?

I am interested in prevention rather than cure.
I have just recently had mri/ mra and am waiting results, find the potential for possible anerrysm a real concern. My coarctation repair happened in the 1970s, end to end, I wonder if this means less risk for me.In mri they also scanned my head ?
Any information would be great, when at the doctors I am suddenly very self conscious and awkward and so nervous I am frightened to really communicate effectively I am so terrified of further surgery !! I am 36 many thanks
Coarctation is associated with  aortic enlargement and the MRI is a good way to follow this.  Also there is an association with brain aneurysms and that is  likely why they did the MR of your head.  An echocardiogram should be done to look at your aortic valve to make sure you don't have a bicuspid aortic valve.
I think there is in general benefit from a statin but you need to be on a low fat diet and exercise regularly as well.  An echo on your daughter will tell if she has a bicuspid aortic valve.
Thanks for your answer. I have a bicuspid valve which the cardiologist does echo every year to 18 months. what is average age for replacement please ? from my echos can they predict this as a rough idea ? also i am interested to know what coarctaion and bicuspid means for general life expextancy ? is it lower than unaffected peers, if yes, by how many years ? any more info would be fabulous.
,y cardiologist has said coarcand bicuspid is relatively rare but is seems farely common ? i am getting mixed messages about statin advantages, i cannot decide what to do, no one medically seems to be pushing me urgently to take it , but cardiologist says long term benefit, i am very confused as you can probably tell, and scared rigid by anerysm possibility !thanks greatand well