Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
enlarged aortic root

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

enlarged aortic root

Hi again, thanks for all the feedback. Just to let you know that I am 5' and 128lbs. Had just started to get back to weight lifting and walking at the gym when I was told no lifting because of heart. This got me of track and now I need to get myself motivated and lose the weight that I have put on in the last 3 years. menopause etc. I also was started on effexor 75mg daily for hot flashes but  noticed this increased my hr. Another point is that my younger brother died sudden death at 43. His autopsy report states hypertensive disease. he was not overweight, had run the Boston Marathon and went to the gym daily. I had noticed prior to his death that he seemed very tired. (not like him)
I don't know if this related at all to my new diagnosis.  
There are quite a few disorders that are associated with aortic root dilatation. I would suggest that you talk to a cardiothoracic surgeon that subspecializes in aortic aneurysms -- they are often very good at following patients in their clinic closely until the time comes to operate. I would suggest getting it followed every 6 months.

I notice that you are very short-- do you have children? There is a syndrome called Turner's syndrome that can be associated with aortic root dilatation and inability to have children; there are many causes. The most common is longstanding high blood pressure.
I have 4 children and have never had high bp. I'm having another echo in Jan.