Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
extra beats

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

extra beats

i am 29 years old,  i had been feeling heart palpitations like something is jumping in the center of my chest for 1 or 2 seconds at a time,     but then some times it will last longer  maybe  4-5 seconds and if it lasts that long i will start to lose consciousness (near syncope)  associated with it.      The problem is that I had some of the shorter palpitations where I didn't have near syncope when I was on my 30 day recorder, and they told me it was just extra beats and nothing to worry about,   but I'm worried if the longer beats are more than 1 extra beat in a row (is that not V-tach if  there is more than 1 extra beat in a row??)   what is the medical term for extra beats?     From what I have read, i thought single extra beats are benign but when more than 1 happens in a row it's considered dangerous?     I did have a normal echo except for mild mitral and pulmonary regurgitation.

Thanks for your time
Ventricular tachycardia is defined as three ventricular beats in a row with a rate greater than 100.  Extra beats can come from the atria as well as the ventricles.  Many people have these extra beats and if your heart is structurally normal you are at very low risk from them.