Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
heart pumping at 50 percent
About This Forum:

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

heart pumping at 50 percent

Recently went for a stress test at the request of my doctor . I just recently turned 49, shortness of breath, tired all the time, overweight.  Recently joined a gym to lose weight and work out. I was diagnosed with 50 percent pumping ability after going though nuclear stress test and echo cardio stress test.  The doctor never told me why this happened to me or what to do.  I recently called him to discuss this matter further in more detail. Could you please tell me something on this disease and how to bring it back to 60 percent!  I have no restrictions as per my cardiologist at the present time.  (weight 195 lbs at 5' 5 ) Sincerely, Donna      
Tags: Heart, pumping
Related Discussions
290383_tn?1193103921
The normal ejection fraction is about 55% and there are many causes for a decrease in ejectin fraction.  There is some variation if the two tests and generally the echo is more accurate assuming it is of good quality.  You need to talk to the doctor and find out if this is significant or not.  If the decrease is real you may need to be on meds.  Also have you been checked for sleep apnea as this can cause a decrease and is readily treatable.Talk to the doctor!!
2 Comments
Blank
21064_tn?1309312333
Hi Donna427,

I'm not a doctor, and one of the doctors will answer, but I thought I'd share what my understanding.  An ejection fraction of 50% is sometimes considered low normal (or just slightly below the normal guidelines of 55-70%).  I don't know if there is any variation in the interpretation in the EF from a nuclear stress test or stress echo, but I know there is some variation in interpreting a standard echocardiogram (5% +/-).   The fact that you are symptomatic could be a result of deconditioning.  If the symptoms persist despite your new exercise program, be sure to let your doctor know.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank