Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
now you see it now you don't!!

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

now you see it now you don't!!

thanks for your reply but would just like to ask the following questions to clear things up a bit:

1.  Is it possible to see clear shunting on a bubble echo and then an MRI determine no ASD's or shunt?

Hence... Do bubble echo's sometimes produce false positives?

3. would you use a normal MRI or contrast enhanced MRI to detect a shunt?

4. Can a normal MRI (non contrast) produce false negatives in ASD detection?

Thank you I apppreciate your time.

You can have a PFO which is demonstrated on the echo but the MRI tests for damage to the brain ie, it checks for small strokes.  Since about one in four people have a PFO and PFO's are a rare cause of strokes it is very plausible to have a PFO with no evidence of a stroke.  I think the confusion here is that the 2 tests MRI and echo look at different things.