Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
palpatations?

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

palpatations?
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so here goes.  I was sitting in my car waiting for my son, not having a stressful day at all.  All of the sudden I got what felt like rapid thumping in my throat (the divit in the center of collarbone) and my head felt like it was sinking.  It stopped and I was ok but fairly alarmed. What was it?  
You most likely had a "tachy arrhythmia"  or abnormal fast heart rate. If you heart was beating irregularly during this time it could have been atrial fibrillation. If your heart beat was regular it was most likely some kind of "supra ventricular tachycardia". Accurate diagnosis is possible if a tracing of your heart electric activity (EKG) can be recorded during such an episode. This can be done with tests like "Holter" monitoring or Event recorders.
thank you, it has happened 2 more times, is this a doctor visit in the making? Should I be worried?  I kind of am worried that I will pass out,  ie, while driving or something.
A related discussion, feels like anixiety attacks was started.