severe respirotory infection
Dear Sir or Madam Doctor,
I had my Mitral Valve repaired 08-26-2002 by Hartzell Schaff M.D. I pre-medicate before my dental appointments with Amoxicilian 500Mg X 6. I was told at St. Mary's Hospital to be careful of Bacterial Endocarditis. I have come down with a serious respiortory infection. I saw my G.P. who ordered a chest X-ray to check for pnomnomia. The test was negative and I was put on antibiotics (Z-Pac) for a 5 day regiment. The 5 days came and went and my symptoms worsened. I have had a fever everyday. For this I took Tylenol which seemed to help. My G.P. put me on a different antibiotic called Ciprofloxacin, 500mg tablets. It has now been over 2 weeks and I still feel terrible. Ache's and pains, runny nose and a lot of yellow phlem I cough up etc!!!, As a child I had rheumatic Fever, but at 45 years old, Dr. Schaff wanted to save my valve. Thus a repair, with great success. I am concerned about this infection. Do you feel patients who have Valvular disease should be hospitalized and treated with antibiotics intraveniously for a couple of days? Any opinion whould be greatly appreciated,
Sincerely, Martin AKA mfj23 of Chicago,IL
You clearly need a very careful evaluation to make sure the valve is not infected.  You need to see the cardiologist to make sure the valve is OK and someone to figure out the cause of your respiratory symptoms.