Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
sharp pain left underarm

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

sharp pain left underarm
I have been having sharp pain in my left underarm on and off for the past several days. The pain is sudden and does not seem to be related to arm movement or any direct cause. I am 66 years old, male, and in pretty good shape. I take lipitor for cholesterol and alegra for allergies. I walk daily and have recently started swimming frequently but mildly.
Even though your symptoms are not typical you have risk factors and you need to be evlauated to check your heart--either a stress echocardiogram or a nuclear scan to exclude artery blockages.