Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Aching Intestines and Abdominal Swelling

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

I've had a few episodes in the last couple of years where my intestines just seem to severely ache 24 hours a day for about 6 - 8 weeks. My abdomen is also quite swollen.  The pain is somewhat severe but not sharp and not localized to one area of my abdomen. Not much diarrhea, but many times feel like it might be coming but then never does.  Constipation is more of a problem.  Stool softeners seem to relieve that, but not the aching.

I do have bad gas at times and a little cramping, but the main symptom is the constant aching.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what the problem might be?  The pain is getting really frustrating because there doesn't seem to be anything that helps.  :-(
Have you looked into food sensitivities?  Food sensitivities will cause me to have similar symptoms to what you're talking about.  My IBS tends towards the constipation, too.

I'm also using flaxseed meal instead of psyllium fiber.  Psyllium fiber is too harsh on my whole digestive tract, and my naturopath told me that psyllium fiber is too harsh for anyone.

Sometimes no matter what I do I still have problems, so I know where you're coming from.

My naturopath has me using Oregon grape, which one just follows the directions on the bottle, probiotics and cascara sagrada.  I was told to only use the cascara sagrada when I really have to.  I also take only ONE at night when I need it.  IF I still need it, I will take one more in the morning, but usually I don't have to.  I find that even if I don't have the bowel movements everyday, that these things really help relieve that awful pain you're talking about that is usually in the descending colon, but elsewhere at times, too.

You may wish to find a naturopath you can work with who can guide you through the steps to the elimination diet that helps you find the food sensitivities.  I'm sure you know what some of the major ones are, but there are several "forbidden" foods on the list that need to be avoided while you go through the process of figuring out what your food sensitivities are.

I hope some of these suggestions will help you out.