Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Alcohol and IBS

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Alcohol and IBS

Can alcohol be a leading factor for IBS.. I have been suffering with chronic pain for two days after drinking beer for three days?  No amount of Librax is helping?  Is there something stronger to take away the constant pain?
If you suspect alcohol--stop the alcohol.  You may be sensitive to the alcohol, even if you're drinking in moderation.  I know it *****, because my body has forced me to be a tea totaler, too, and I've never been a binge drinker ever once in my life.  I never did like beer, though.  It doesn't matter what alcohol product it is, though, my body can't handle it.

Another thing to consider is gluten intolerance.  Beer isn't just alcohol.  It is made with grains, such as wheat and barley, that contain gluten.  Many people with IBS are also gluten and lactose intolerant.

I have no idea of what other pain medications or anti-spasmodics to try.  If the pain doesn't improve or even gets worse, I suggest heading for the e.r.  I've had to do that when I couldn't even walk because of the pain and was throwing up.  They hooked me up to IV fluids and administered medications through the IV, because obviously I wasn't able to take oral medications.  When they finally did this, I got tremendous relief in a relatively short amount of time.  It really sucked when they made me wait in the waiting room forever and a year, though.  I was waiting literally for hours.  So, I say to only go to the e.r. for help as the last resort.

You may benefit from a short fast, or VERY light foods, just to keep the bowels moving.  You probably don't have much of an appetite with all the pain you're talking about in the first place.  Definitely push all the fluids you can tolerate.  Avoid all dairy.  Don't irritate your system with any other potential allergens.  Not only will that help keep the bowels from losing fluids, but it will help your body flush out what it thinks are allergens, which are toxic for you.
Exercise helps in a major way and try homeopathy,its helping me.Supplements such as vitamins and calciums are strictly a no-no!
If you get intense pain in bowels/intestine and distented stomach or vommiting you should definetly go to the ER.  This could be a sign of bowel obstruction wich is a medical emergency.

I have IBS and I thought I develpoed appendicitis because the pain was so intense.  Not to be mistaken for the normal cramping pain associated with IBS though.

Alcohol by itself does not cause IBS.  Dehydrating your body by alcohol and then continuing to drink after the pain start is just not smart.  You should listen to your body instead of taking a pill hoping the pain will go away.

You are not supposed to drink alcohol with Librax because of an increased sedative effect.  It could be that the two are causing the bowel to slow down too much and causing constipation.
I agree with most all of FurballsMom's comments. I have stopped drinking alcohol, except for special occassions and have noticed a positive difference. Although I still drink coffee, I know it has a negative effect. Water is critical to good bowel function. Both alcohol and caffiene have diruretic effects. The pain concerns me. Since I tightly monitor my diet, I no longer have what I could call "pain" -- only occassional discomfort. You may need to both cut the alcohol and look at other dietary issues. My diet is low sugar, low fat, high in salads, vegetables, rice, etc. No pasta. Yogurt for breakfast, no milk, etc. Some fruit. Fairly normal otherwise. (All this is great for weight loss also. Just cutting alcohol makes a significant difference.) IBS is a general diagnosis which could apply to different underlying causes, so you may have to take a look at things like gluten intolerance, as FurballsMom suggests.

Good luck !