Anxiety help!
Hi I've had ibs for 5 years now, the past two years has been great but my ibs anxiety has been through the roof. I can't sit in class without worrying, so I usually leave. And I can't stop worrying about what's going to happen next. I worry a lot. And I just need some help with working with my anxiety to calm it down a lot. It's more of a bother than anything else. I mean not being able to go eat with friends or simply watching a movie at the theater. Life is rough. I need help!
Anxiety is all too familiar for people with IBS.  I suggest you see a psychiatrist so they can provide the proper treatment. If it makes you feel better, I have a permanent ileostomy which creates a whole new level of anxiety and it's mind over matter.

You have the courage to get through this and please do not stop living life because it's too precious.  Also try some natural medicine like L-Theanine and Niacinamide.  They are both promote relaxation.

Debra
Hi, I can certainly relate.  You said the last two years have been "great" except for the anxiety.  Do you mean your GI system is fine, but you're anxious?  Are you anxious about what your belly might do or other things?  Anxiety disorders and IBS often occur together.  A lot of the same neurotransmitters in the brain are also in the belly, so emotions and the gut are tied together.  Good luck.  Also, for anxiety, I very strongly suggest looking into spirituality.  Over the years, when I read books about this topic, I definitely feel better.  I think it helps with seeing everything from a point of view that is kinder than what we assume life is. (If that makes sense).  Good luck!
I have anxiety when I have a lot of constipation and pressure discomfort.  It causes me to breathe in a shallow way because my lungs can't inflate right.  This causes a feeling of not getting a good breath, so I breathe faster, which is hyperventilation, and this causes a physiologic response of anxiety.  It is very unpleasant.  Treatment is controlling the constipation and getting exercise and being outside.  If you have constipation with your IBS, be sure you take magnesium supplements to help.  When I work outside doing manual labor for my job, I don't need as much help, but with a desk job I need to take Amitiza and lots of supplements.