Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Anyone tried "Symprove" as Seen in Daily Mail?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

I’ve just read the article in the Daily Mail about the probiotics, but wondered if anyone had tried that brand. I read some other posts in other forums. The things they say on their website seem logical – getting the bacteria to the right place by not having it as a yoghurt drink – I’ve tried all the Actimel and Yakult products and that’s probably why they’ve not worked. And having them as live bacteria rather than freeze dried like in those capsules you can get on the internet– how can they be live if they’re freeze dried? I just want to know if it works. I’ll probably try anyway, but wondered if anyone here had tried it? It’s called Symprove? I’d never heard of it before, don’t think it’s in the supermarkets…?
No-one? Well it seemed to be getting good results and having tried most things in the past 20+ years of having IBS, I think I'll give it a go. Perhaps I'll report back on how it goes if anyone's interested? Mark, IBS D+C
Welcome to the IBS community!  My opinion is that probiotics are a good idea, but most of them will basically provide the same benefit.  I've tried many different probiotics over the years and haven't found much relief from any of them.
I've tried the yoghurt ones that are available at the supermarkets. The article just caught my eye as it was a study at King's, who are, of course, a very well respected institution. I called them on Friday and the lady at the other end was really nice, not in a typical customer service way. I didn't order anything as I wanted to see if there were any horror stories, to be frank. With a condition like this which is so prevalent, there are bound to be lots of charlatans offering "miracle cures". I'd put more faith into a trusted bunch like King's College though. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet (so to speak) and try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Good, I'm glad you are aware of the "miracle cure" scams that are out there.  I hope you find some relief soon!!
Well it was the fact that it was King's College that caught my eye on google alerts.

Anyway, I have bitten the proverbial bullet and bought a bottle (apparently they sold out the week that article came out). The power of the press eh!

Have had a couple of days of doses. First thing in the morning (before breakfast so that the bacteria go straight through the stomach and start multiplying). If anyone has any questions, fire away. Im not used to talking about my symptoms but under the relative cloak of anonymity afforded me here, I shall try to be as frank as I can!
I hate to say this, but despite the somewhat  funny after-taste, I think this stuff might just be doing something... Too early to tell for sure I suppose, and could be psychosimatic, so I'll keep going and let you know what happens after two weeks.
Well, I did promise that I'd be back, so I don't know if this is any help to anyone, but here is my update with my experience thus far with Symprove probiotic drink that was in the Daily Mail a while ago.

I have been taking it now for almost a month and have noticed a marked difference. It does feel liek things are "balancing out". I veer from IBS-D to IBS-C and even over the Christmas period I really felt that I could eat what I liked. It can be a real pain (ha ha) having both symptoms, you never really know what is going to hit you next. So to have a little more confidence is a real bonus.

I've still not been out to eat (that's my biggest fear and the thing that holds me back a lot) so that will be the next test.

I'll be back with more information/milestones if/when they happen!
A bit late but i have just read your letter,how are you doing on the prob drink ?
Hi Mich683...

I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised. I have been out to eat (last weekend), with no adverse effects. A godsend for my long-suffering wife. I've even booked a very nice place for Valentine's Day. First time in a long time.

I have tried just about everything, but this is the only thing that has made any difference, and looking at the ingredients it's reassuring, and reviewing the 'delivery method' as they call it - it makes sense. The fact that it is being used in a proper, scientific assessment (I googled it to see what they were talking about in the original Daily Mail article= http://www.controlled-trials.com/ISRCTN77512412 ) is doubly reassuring.

I hate to recommend things to other sufferers as we're all very different in our symptoms and reactions, but I can't see that this would have adverse side effects as there are no nasty man-made ingredients in there. Definitely worth a try I'd say.

Have you IBS too then Mich683?
Yes i have,had it about 5-6years now,my son in law has it, a friend of mine has it,so son in law has been on Symprove for 2 weeks and he says he feels better,i've been on it 4 days so too early to tell yet,my god it's expensive but will get another bottle.I'm so pleased it's working for you ,and i hope you have a great Valentines meal,must be heaven to go out and eat anything on the menu.
Thanks for your reply,will update you in a few weeks when i'm on my 3 -4 bottle,and hopefully somebody else will read it and it will help them as well.
Great! Someone else trying it!

It is incredible how many people have it. I suppose our diets are so varied now and we put ourselves under so much pressure. I think our digestive systems are having a hard time keeping up!

Let me know how you get on with it too. Are you finding that it 'flushes out the system' early on? I had that.
Well i'm nearly at the end of bottle 1 ,yes i think it's helping but it's too early to try a food that has caused stomach pain just yet !!! (too much of a coward),that will be the real test ,think i'll wait a few weeks,and yes it did flush out the system early.I'll pop in after bottle 2,and when i try Mmmm cheese on toast ,CAN'T WAIT
Hi!

I'm a Symprover too. (I think I deserve some sort of marketing pay back for coming up with that. We should start a fan club - the Symprovers!!). I've had it for about 6 months and can't stop telling everyone about it. I'm back eating quite a few banished foods and it is a such a relief.

How did the Valentine's meal go? HAve anything daring? :-)

Helen
Ha ha what a good idea a fan club,or a poll who's feeling better on symprove.Well it's still too early for me to try something i couldn't eat before,but i have to say i've noticed i haven't had any stomach aches in the morning at all,so that's a good thing.On my 3rd bottle tomorrow they say it takes about 3 months,i'll have to sell the dogs,just wish it wasn't so expensive.Glad you're feeling better Helen
Michele
I'm also on the symprove list! ive been on it for 4-5 months now, I suffer with IBS-D and IBS-C so much like Mark. Symprove has helped a GREAT deal for me so far. Yes on occasions I still get symptoms but its a lot more rare (I also have the fear of eating out!) and stomach pain has pretty much gone now. I'm happy with the results (I also take a pro biotic multi-vitamin every morning and on occasions a yogurt drink). My stools are still a bit odd at times but it doesnt help not having much fiber in my diet.

Well i'm off to buy another bottle

Rob
I'm still not 100% but like you i do feel better than before i took it,so it must be helping,i have another 3 bottles to go so that's roughly a months worth ,then i will try and eat something i know i shouldn't,think that's the real test,i'm in Uk and i order it online ,if you order 4 bottles it works out cheaper
Hi there, just wondering how you and a few others are getting on with Symprove another 2 months down the line. My wife saw an article in Bella magazine and I've done some internet research. Everything I've seen sounds positive but personal testimony is always the best advert for a product. I generally suffer from IBS-C controlled with fibre & and laxative supplements but if I eat problem foods it veers towards IBS-D. I would love to find something that will reduce my symptoms. Ken
Well i've been on it for months now, i don't get stomach aches like i used to,i have tried eating things i know upset my stomach and yes i still had to dash to the toilet,but never as bad as it was before i started taking it.Give it a go.Shame Mark hasn't given an update as he was doing really well on it.Good luck
My Dad has recently purchased symprove in the new mango and passion fruit flavour. He has been using it four 14 days and has noticed a real difference to how how his severe ibs is settling since taking. he says it does not settle the need to go to the toilet all the time but does settle the pains, cramps and bloating. My dad buys from sunshine shop on ebay and google though you can buy direct from the supplier at ****.com

Hope it helps
I have just received my order for four bottles having tried just about everything else. I have lived with IBS for some years now and taken holidays but every now and then I need a confidence booster. Just concerned what to do when I travel (fridge storage?)
i have been on symprove about three months and at first i noted a big improvement inmy symptoms - so much so that i decided to continue.  However, during the last seven days I have suffered a return of quite severe stomach ache ( once a day, but lasting a couple of hours.  I am undecided whether to have a rest from the symprove or to persevers.  Anyone else had this problem?
Would be interested to hear how you are,  now several months "down the line"?
I would love to hear from Markbs as well he was making such progress.I stopped taking the symprove as it's so expensive but i'm now getting stomach pains every morning so may just have a top up again
I am wondering if the answer is to take the "stuff" say three days a week instead of every day.  I have to add that it is now three days I have not had any, and so far my stomach ache has stopped.  What do I do now?  I agree that it is expensive, but my life had got so miserable that I would have paid ANY price for some relief, and as I said, for a time I thought it was working.  Not sure where it leaves me now,  
I know it's a horrible thing to have to live with.Don't know if it's a good day or a fluke but i took 1 tablet they sell for wind as my stomach felt bloated and it's the first morning i have woken up without stomach pains so will take another today.I'll let you know how i'm getting on.If you're in UK Amazon are selling syprove free p&p
So pleased you are having a good day, whatever the reason!  How long did you take symprove for?  And how long have you been off it?  
Yes, I have sometimes taken a wind relief tablet.  They usually help the bloated feeling.
I have had two reasonably good days now (certainly not had stomach pain)
so am persevering without the symprove.  Thanks for the tip about Amazon.
Please keep in touch.
I took it for about 3 months,then my last bottle i just took some about 2-3 times a week,haven't had any for a couple of months now,so i'm going to use it as a top up.I'm also cutting out bread for a while,on the radio last night they were saying it takes 12 hours to digest ,and the bloke wanted to get rid of his beer belly and bloating and he's been off bread for 1 week and the bloating has gone.Worth a try Pitta bread today instead ( yuk.) hope you continue  to improve,so nice when you wake up and no pain
How are you using it as a top up?  Do you mean several times a week, or only when you have a bad day?
I had a REALLY BAD bout of stomach pain yesterday.  Also painful D for a while.  This morning I have already been TWICE to the loo.  I really do not know whether to resume taking the symprove.  What do you think?  Pitta bread does sound a good idea.  I know white bread does tend to cause bloat.  I do try to limit it.  Sometimes a problem to know WHAT to eat.
I'm just going to take a spoonful every couple of days  just as a top up and see if i improve,i know it's boring but i'm having P/B, porridge,and maybe try the bread with no wheat in it ,soda bread is another one
I have tried gluten free bread for a time, but it is pretty disgusting.  Never tried soda bread. Might give it a go. So far so good to-day.  Had D all day yesterday - urgh!  
Still no word from Markbs (think that was his name)
Are you keeping fairly good on your "top up" method?
i am late coming on line to-day, but you are not  here.  Sorry about that, but I trust you are OK.  I have osteo arthritis and it is playing me up a bit today.  However,  I have managed to do my weekly grocery shop on line.  Thank goodness for the internet.  Write soon.
Sorry to hear you're not well,it must be very painful especially with the IBS as well.
I'm a moderator on a website so some days i don't get on here
Well no bread for 2 days,stomach seems flatter as well so i shall continue with Pitta bread today,that's the best thing i've found that i like,apart from bread.Didn't have Symprove today and when i do i take i take half of the measure so will see how i go this week.Have you tried Peppermint capsules for stomach cramps ? they help sometimes
Are you still taking the Symprove Helen?   It would be good to know how you are getting on after all this time.  I took it for three months but have now hit a rough patch and am not sure whether to carry on.
hi  mich - how are you getting on?  I am having trouble with breathlessness and seem to recall reading quite a lot of people with ibs suffer in this way, but i cannot find the appropriate posts.  Do you have any info on this problem?
No i'm sorry i can't help ,i've never suffered with breathlesness only with sinus then sometimes i've had it.