Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Bloating Doesn't Go Away

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Bloating Doesn't Go Away

I have been diagnosed with IBS.  I have severe bloating and occasional bouts of constipation.  I have been avoidng certain foods that I have noticed upset me, however, the bloating in my abdomin (abdomen) never goes away.  It ranges from just being uncomfortable to being out right painful, not to mention embarassing.  Sometimes just drinking water will hurt my stomach and the bloating gets worse.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  I am just out of ideas.
Tags: bloating, IBS
Well, at least you're not alone! I can share but I, too haven't answers. I've been more or less bloated, often extremely so for years. And yes, even drinking water sometimes cause immediate pain. I have two sizes of trousers and shorts (I live in Florida.) to accommodate the bloating sessions. In fact, I'm rarely my "regular" size, whatever that is anymore... Also, I eat very little since as I bloat I quickly begin to feel full! If you or anyone knows of a way to reduce bloating I'd love to know about it.

Michael
Thank you so much for responding...I also have various pants sizes in my closet!  Someone has just recently recommended Flaxseed to me.  I add it to my cereal and sometimes dinners.  I don't use it everyday because, for me at least, too much of anything that seems to help at first...ends up being too much and doesn't help anymore.  I also try to avoid too much dairy, rice, pasta, potaot, and onion.  This has helped me keep the bloating somewhat under control...but othertimes it is just out of my control.  I have also upped the amount of fruit and veggies I eat.   I also take a lot of antacids and some Rx's to hep with the heartburn.
Thanks for your input, too.
Our bodies are tough to analyze. For one, no two people seem to react similarly. What can often irritate your system might not bother mine, etc... For heartburn consider staying away from acidic foods, especially tomatoes. Wine, especially red, might be a problem, too. I grudgingly must take 20 - 35mg of Prilosec every day or heartburn drives me crazy! Like a lot of IBS folks dairy is out of the question. As for foods in general I find it so difficult - and frustrating detecting what irritates my digestive system and what doesn't. Just as soon as I've identified a "bad" food item the next few times I consume it, just to be sure, there's no reaction! Grrrrr...

As for bloating it just doesn't seem to matter what I consume. Within a few minutes I'm huge and feel as though someone has inflated a basketball in my stomach!

Sorry I haven't more answers,

Michael
hehe funny you know  in my case its even worse  i'm 114 lbs 5'3 ft
but whenever  i get  my bloating stomach I look like a 8 months  pregnant woman its so embaressing my hair dresser asked me when was the last i saw her & how come i havent told her that  i'm  pregnant imagine how embaressing that is !
I seeked a Dr. & he prescrbed me charcoal tablets called EUCARBON
it worked with me everytime i have  bloating & pain...
but whats even more helpful to me & for my lifestyle with IBS & all
is YOGA the breathing exercise definetly helps not to mention the various positions  & exercises that keeps your abdominal area more flatt
but whenever i expreience bloating while i'm out I just take my pills & still do my breathing exercises
Hello to everyone I had a severe'd attact of IBS,I have lost 15 LB in a month 1/2 and I'm still loosing my appetite,is very slim it seem's when I eat 1 piece of  bread I'm already full,I'm full of gurgling and full of gas,I had a uge Bm last thursday and it was flat like a big cookie I dont kno why and it was covered into a thin layer film.That wa the last time I had a BM.I'm still bloated nausea,pain in belly no energy.[pogo514] Carmelle
Hi pogo,

I believe you shouldn't be losing weight with IBS, at least this is what my Gastro doctor told me, and you shouldn't be full so quick. I have been having almost constant gurgling too, but that could be just a stomach upset. If I were you, I'd make an appointment to see the Gastro doctor just to be on the safe side.
Could wheat gluten be causing your problems? Could it be an imbalance of your body's flora, too much candida? I think diet has a lot to do with it. You can be tested for these things and changing your eating habits is a lot healthier than taking drugs that only mask the symptoms and in some cases don't work anyway.
i can relate to this problem. suddenly i gained alot of weight . my stomache has bloated. my upper stomach seems to be worse .i look like i am 8months pregnant.i have pain in my upper stomach . when i eat i feel like i could explode. ihave alot of gas. when i have bowel movements they are very small . i feel constipated but my stools are soft. i am also having back pain and ribs hurt. help
You might have more food issues.  I had trouble with trapped gas and my doctor had me do an elimination diet for foods that cause gas.  Try this website out and click the Diets
link and look for the diet that helps detect gassy foods.  www.gicare.com

Also for me I had got spasms and that also held the gas in.  My doctor gave me spasm medication.  Since I have been off wheat I have no need for the pills now.